March 03, 2009

#89 - Introducing Your Friends to Your Parents

Introducing Your Friends to Your Parents

Your parents don't want to run your life. But they do have the right to ask a few questions.

Let's say they run into you at the mall or in the park, and see you talking to someone they do not know. If you just wave at your mom or dad and then go on talking with your friend, your parents may be thinking, "That's a cute girl. I wonder if she's his girlfriend? I bet she'd make a lovely daughter-in-law and their children would be beautiful." Or they may be thinking, "That kid looks like trouble. I think I saw him on the 10 o'clock news last night." Or they might be thinking, "This child I raised from a baby has no manners. I have failed terribly." (And that would be the worst thing possible.)

You don't want them thinking any of these things - especially about the girl. But it can be easy to nip that idea in the bud.

You definitely don't want your parents coming over to you and saying something like, "Scott must not want us to meet you. Just how do you know our son?" Or, "Our son obviously has no manners. Hi, I'm Scott's mom." Or the worst: "Well, since Scott won't introduce us, I will just have to assume that you are his girlfriend."

You can stop all of this very easily if you just start introducing your friends to your parents. It is really painless, and, if you do it right away, they'll have less time to think of something that will embarrass you.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails